This is a daily round up of important blockchain and crypto news between Feb 12, 2019 and Feb 13, 2019 . The focus is on important news around developments in the blockchain space, on exchanges and crypto projects.
Please note that this is neither the only nor the exhaustive list, we are constantly trying to improve the feed and if you have any feedback, please feel free to contact us.
- 0.1 1. QuadrigaCX Inadvertently Transferred Bitcoins Worth $400K to Dead CEO’s Wallet
- 0.2 2. Mt Gox will Not Start Again, Says Former CEO
- 0.3 3. New Zealand Police Say Cryptopia Is Ready to Resume Trading, but Platform Remains Offline
- 0.4 4. Coinbase Wallet Users Can Back Up Encrypted Keys on Google Drive and iCloud
- 0.5 5. Japan’s Biggest Bank Launching Blockchain Payments Network in 2020
- 1 Bite-sized News
1. QuadrigaCX Inadvertently Transferred Bitcoins Worth $400K to Dead CEO’s Wallet
On February 6, 2019, Quadriga inadvertently transferred 103 bitcoins valued at approximately CAD $468,675 to Quadriga cold wallets which the Company is currently unable to access.The Monitor is working with Management to retrieve this cryptocurrency from the various cold wallets, if possible. Read more
2. Mt Gox will Not Start Again, Says Former CEO
Former Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Mark Karpeles has said there will be no chance of the exchange starting its operations again. A throwaway comment by Brock Pierce, who is behind companies such as Blockchain Capital, Block.one and EOS Alliance stated that he could reboot the exchange and give better compensations to the traders affected by the exchange’s hack back in 2014 that saw a whopping BTC 850,000. Read more
3. New Zealand Police Say Cryptopia Is Ready to Resume Trading, but Platform Remains Offline
Detective inspector Greg Murton reportedly said that the main part of the work required by the High Tech Crime Group at Cryptopia’s business premises in Christchurch has been mostly finished, claiming that Cryptopia management now have full access to their facilities and business premises. While New Zealand police have reported that Cryptopia is “open again whenever they like,” the company’s website remains offline at press time, still reporting maintenance. Read more
4. Coinbase Wallet Users Can Back Up Encrypted Keys on Google Drive and iCloud
In the statement, Coinbase states that allowing users to upload their keys to a cloud provides a safeguard against lost keys, will will help them avoid losing funds should the keys be misplaced. Coinbase notes that neither they nor the cloud services will have access to user funds, as recovery phrase key is unlocked by a password known only to the user. The backup is purportedly encrypted with AES-256-GCM encryption, which is only accessible through the Wallet mobile app. Read more
5. Japan’s Biggest Bank Launching Blockchain Payments Network in 2020
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG) – Japan’s largest financial group and the world’s fifth largest bank by assets – is launching a blockchain-based payments network next year. The new venture launches with capital of 250 million yen ($2.26 million), with MUFG having an 80 percent stake and Akamai the remaining 20 percent. Read more
Only the headlines are enough for these news
- Western Union, Ripple Working on Settlement Tests Read Story.
- Binance Chain Testnet Launching on 20th of February, Reveals Changpeng Zhao Read Story.
- South Korea’s Largest Foreign Exchange Bank Files 46 Blockchain-Related Patents Read Story.
- Italian Banking Association Further Tests Interbank Blockchain System Powered by R3 Corda Read Story.
- UC Berkeley Launches Accelerator for Early Stage Blockchain Startups Read Story.
Disclaimer: The news articles cited or sourced are from platforms other than Coin Crunch India. CoinCrunch.in does not endorse nor support views, opinions or conclusions drawn in these articles. CoinCrunch.in is not responsible for or liable for any content, accuracy or quality within these articles. Readers should do their own due diligence before taking any actions related to the content. Coincrunch.in is not responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any information from the articles below.
We removed the advertisement to remind you about supporting Coin Crunch India. Donate to Keep News Free from influence, research oriented and exclusive on Coin Crunch India. Click here to Donate.